I want this cupcake stand! =)
My birthday was late July and I turned 30!
I thought this was a cute and clever gift:
No…I don’t really believe it, but it did give me a laugh!
Here is a different perspective of turning 30… Michael Moniz’s 30 reasons why turning 30 rocks, from his website Living Life Out Loud:
- I get to check a new age group box on forms.
- I get to say, “I remember when I was in my 20s”.
- It is a milestone birthday.
- It is more exciting to say “I am 30″ than “I am 29 or 31″
- More exciting to blog for a week about your 30th birthday.
- I get 10 years to prepare for turning 40.
- I get to take the time to look at a new vision for my 30s.
- I have stopped trying to find myself and started creating myself.
- I get to start anew in my new age range.
- I have great experiences from my past and so now I get to add new ones!
- I can celebrate BIG for this birthday.
- I have years to get use to being called sir.
- When I get carded it is a compliment instead of them not thinking I am old enough.
- All the life lessons I learned in my 20s, I can now apply to my life.
- Don’t have to worry about being 30 because I just AM.
- Get to read all the self help books about surviving your 30’s and nod in agreement with them.
- Do not have to do it alone since many of my friends and my niece are turning 30 with me.
- A major birthday like 30 means better presents!
- If I have learn nothing else from Desperate Housewives, 40 is the new 30 and 30 is the new 20.
- People naturally take you more seriously when you are in your 30s.
- You get to smile when people can not believe you are 30.
- No longer have to struggle to be an adult because you have years of practice.
- 5 more years and I can be president.
- Instead of stressing about acne, I can stress about wrinkles and white hair.
- When I was younger 30 was OLD, now I feel 30 is young.
- Don’t I wait for Santa to bring me a wii, I can go get my own.
- I maybe turning 30 but I will still always be the youngest in my family.
- Turning 30 makes you appreciate your 20’s and look forward to your 40s.
- There is only on option to not turning 30, that is death. I say, “Welcome 30!”
- Like the Christina song, “Keeps Getting Better”
It has almost been a month since my last post.
It’s been too long!
I may not be updating this every day like I had been, but I will be better than once a month! =)
I’m teaching a three-week summer school high school remedial English class. My goal is to have each student write as much as possible. So, to do that, I have created a journal assignment that is just a bit different.
The students have become food critics.
Each day, a new food is brought in by a student or me.
They need to bring something that they would like to eat, but something that most students may not have tried or that is unique.
We look at it, smell it, taste it, scarf it up, then write about it!
Well…I should say: blog about it!
Yes, each student has a blog on food!
First, everyone loves food and enjoys eating and discussing the food in the classroom!
Second, they get to see their writing PUBLISHED!
It has only been 5 days of blogging, but we have had a blast!
I’ve gone back and forth on how to grade this assignment! It may change next time, but for now, this assignment is graded in two parts: 50% of their grade is completion; 50% is content, organization, vocab and word choice, sentence fluency, and mechanics of writing.
I didn’t want them to fail because of their poor writing skills…they are in remedial English. I want them to enjoy writing. That is why 50% of their grade is completion, asking, “Did they follow directions?”
I still wanted them to be accountable to English standards…that is why 50% of their grade is everything else.
Having fun…already one week down! Two more weeks to go!
I have already seen an improvement in their writing!
Finger painting for adults…love it!
I want to create a family picture wall when I get my new apartment (which is soon…I hope!).
Throughout the pictures of faces, I want to put pictures of family members holding hands.
I’m starting with my grandparents’ engagement picture:
This is a picture of the picture, but I am going to get a professional copy of this.
So sweet! Great idea for an engagement/save the date announcement! Hmmm… =)
I made lemon cupcakes with the strawberry frosting from two weeks ago.
Did I take a picture?
Maybe I’ll make some more just to take a picture!
…I wasn’t happy with the lemon cupcake, so I’ll try and find another recipe.
Then take a picture! =)
I know… I know…
I skipped a week and didn’t bake cupcakes! =( But, did you hear about my week?!?! Yikes…that was a tough week!
Anyway, I baked two kinds of cupcakes last week and I’m here today to blog about them! =)
So, without further ado, I bring you French Toast and Bacon Cupcakes with Maple Frosting.
Yes, that is BACON on top of that cupcake!!! This has been the most flavorful and yummy cupcake out of all the cupcakes so far! I was a little skeptical about these, but no one who has tried one has regretted their decision!
Tomorrow: the other cupcake. =)